Heart-Healthy Nutrition Program
At the heart of good health is healthy nutrition. This program covers nutritional aspects of preventing and treating heart disease. The goals will be to achieve optimal blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol levels, and to maintain your weight.
Our program is for 3 months and includes the following:
- Medical evaluation and follow-up visits as necessary
- Group nutrition classes held weekly
- Mindfulness Meditation classes held weekly
- Cooking Classes held monthly
Group Nutrition Classes
Research has shown that it’s easier to stick with a nutrition plan when you have support and you can share your experiences with others who have similar conditions and goals. The topics for our group sessions include the following:
- Understanding Risk Factors for Heart Disease
- Nutrition Goals in Heart Disease
- Managing your Weight
- Low sodium and Blood Pressure
- High fiber and Cholesterol
- Carbohydrate and sugar control in Prediabetes/Diabetes
- Good, Bad and Ugly Fats
- High protein and Getting Active
- Omega 3, Vitamins and Supplements
- Smoking and Alcohol
- Meal planning and Quick Meal Ideas
- Healthy Snacks and Eating Out
Mindfulness Meditation and Heart Disease
Research suggests that practicing mindfulness meditation regularly helps reduce stress, lowers blood pressure, slows heart rate, by changing the stress centers in the brain. For patients with heart disease, stress presents two problems: the direct effect of stress may raise blood glucose levels, blood pressure and heart rate and stress may also make us indulge in unhealthy behaviors like eating more calorie dense foods. Moderating the stress response is likely to lower blood pressure and blood glucose levels and also help in weight management.
Our chef, Scott Savokinas, will teach you how to cook foods that are healthy and nutritious and suitable for patients with heart disease. All classes will be an hour long and will be in the demonstration format. The 3 classes will include breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack items.